Lake County’s 2017 was a fantastic year.
None of this would be possible without you reading, visiting and sharing, while also exploring and vacationing in Lake County.
The communities, restaurants, shopping areas, family fun zones, hotels and resorts, unique specialty and, well, the glorious nature we have in this great county featuring our scenic lakes is what makes our area thrive.
Here’s a timeline of all the magnificent happenings and accomplishments as we take a look at the 2017 Lake County year in review.
Wilmot Mountain reopens its doors after Vail Resorts invested $13 million in the establishment. More Info >>
Floor & Décor open at Gurnee Mills. More Info >>
Great Wolf Lodge buys KeyLime Cove Waterpark Resort and is slated to open in summer 2018. More Info >>
The Village of Antioch celebrated its 125th birthday. More Info >>
Long Grove Confectionery Company moves the retail location to Historic downtown Long Grove. More Info >>
Michael’s Red Hots in Highland Park celebrated their 40-year anniversary. More Info >>
The Shanty Restaurant in Wadsworth begins expansion and renovation to quadruple their eatery’s size. More Info >>
Wildlife Discovery Center in Lake Forest turned 20 years old and just a week later a loveable two-toed baby sloth arrived. More Info >>
Christina Hovorka of Gurnee qualifies for American Ninja Warrior.
More Info >>
Visit Lake County wins Illinois Excellence in Tourism Award for ‘Best Cooperative Partnership’ with Six Flags Great America, KeyLime Cove Waterpark Resort in Gurnee and the Lake County Fair in Grayslake. More Info >>
Illinois Beach Resort in Zion in 2017 completed a $2-million renovation project featuring upgrades to all 92 rooms, floors, bathrooms and added a 32-inch flat screen television to each chamber. More Info >>
KeyLime Cove Waterpark Resort officially closes doors. More Info >>
Illinois Office of Tourism launched their new website. More Info >>
USA Today ranks Chicago Botanic Garden in the Top 10 Best Botanical Gardens. More Info >>
Caterpillar moves its headquarters to Deerfield. More Info >>
Construction crews begin work on Mellody Farm in Vernon Hills. The $200 million project that will be a mix of high-end apartments and a 272,242-square foot shopping center is slated to open in fall 2018. More Info >>
Crane’s Landing Golf Course rated best golf value in Chicago’s North Shore by Windy City Public Golfer’s Guide. More Info >>
- Richardson Corn Maze featured in the Wall Street Journal. More Info >>
- Six Flags Great America debuts its 15th roller coaster: THE JOKER.
More Info >>
- Hyatt Deerfield meeting space renovations completed. More Info >>
- Lincolnshire event space Loft 21 opens in the former Cubbie Bear location. More Info >>
- Volo Auto Museum ends car shows to expand their facility. This auto shows ran monthly since the 1970s. More Info >>
- Long Grove’s covered bridge recommended for National Landmark status. More Info >>
- Buffalo Creek Brewery in Long Grove opens their doors. More Info >>
- Visit Lake County launches Libation Trail featuring partners that create and serve locally-made spirits, wines and brews including Bosacki’s Home Brew Microbrewery and Tighthead Brewing Co. in Mundelein, Buffalo Creek Brewing and Valentino Vineyards in Long Grove, Club Tiki in Waukegan, Copper Fiddle Distillery and Roaring Table Brewery in Lake Zurich, Half Day Brewing Co. in Lincolnshire, Lynfred Winery, Mickey Finn in Libertyville, Vigneto del Bino in Antioch, Lynfred Winery in Wheeling, North Shore Distillery in Green Oaks and Side Lot Brewery in Wauconda. More Info >>
- Wandering Tree Estate in North Barrington was featured in a Kmart TV commercial. More Info >>
- Richardson Farm debuts its corn maze commemorating the 2016 Chicago Cubs World Series win. More Info >>
- Miller’s Dog N Suds in Ingleside celebrates its 50th year in business.
More Info >>
- A solar eclipse occurred in Lake County with 85 percent visibility. More Info >>
- Six Flags Great America’s thrill ride King Chaos closed to make room for a new ride donning the hashtag: #ChaseTheStorm2018. More Info >>
- Six Flags Great America announces the addition of a 100-foot tall roller coaster and its to be considered the world’s largest loop coaster.
More Info >>
- ‘Volo House of Cars,’ a television show featuring the Volo Auto Museum premiered on the History Channel. More Info >>
- Australian Marc Leishman won the PGA Tour BMW Championship setting the tournament record at 23-under-par at Conway Farms Golf Club in Lake Forest. More Info >>
- Gurnee Mills commenced a $6 million renovation. More Info >>
- Lake County Forest Preserves installed a bridge to connect Middlefork Savanna to McArthur Forest Preserves. More Info >>
- Marriott Theatre announced their 2018 schedule that includes a stellar Broadway lineup featuring “Ragtime the Musical,” “Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Oklahoma,” “Murder for Two,” “Sweet Charity” and “Irving Berlin’s Holiday Inn.”
More Info >>
- Visit Lake County announces its third annual Lake County Restaurant Week: 10 Days to Savor slated for March 2-11. More Info >>
- Tighthead Brewing Co. in Mundelein, North Shore Distillery in Green Oaks and Copper Fiddle Distillery in Lake Zurich were featured on the Illinois Office of Tourism’s new spotlight: Illinois Made. More Info >>
- Waukegan Park District, Gurnee Park District and Lake County Health Department were awarded with an Intergovernmental Cooperation Best of the Best award for their work on GO Lake County by the Illinois Association of Park Districts. More Info >>
- North Shore Distillery releases new limited release, Ethel’s Eye of the Newt Cordial. More Info >>
- Vernon Hills Park District’s Century Park becomes the first Illinois district park to achieve Arboretum Accreditation. More Info >>
- 60 to Escape in Gurnee Mills was ranked no. 6 in the USA Today’s 10Best List. More Info >>
- Lincolnshire Marriott Resort completed a $25-million renovation project unveiling upgrades to each of the 390 rooms, two new dining options Three Embers and Wrights Brew and Bistro, a Starbucks Café and a day spa called Xhale Spa. More Info >>
- La Casa de Isaac & Moishe in Highland Park was featured on WGN-TV Chicago’s “Chicago’s Best” television show. More Info >>
- Libertyville Sports Complex opens an outdoor skating rink. More Info >>
- SLYCE Pizza opens a second location in Highwood. More Info >>
To find more information about other news about the 2017 year Lake County year in review, continue here.