Lake County is all about celebrating summer! And you can’t get more “summery” than the 4th of July. There are parades, events and celebrations around the county, but the Great Lakes Naval Base celebration is one of the biggest and most unique celebrations because the Naval Base usually isn’t open to the public! Enjoy all things summer at this huge and popular celebration!
The best part about the Naval Station’s 4th of July is that they do such a great job of entertaining the kiddos! Enjoy a full on “Kid’s Zone” with magicians, music and games.
Sure there’s plenty for adults to enjoy like, Joan Jett on Thursday night, Paintball (4-8 p.m.), BMX Freestyle Riding shows (5 & 7 p.m.), delicious food and a grown-up beverage area… but when the kids are happy… that’s when everyone gets to have fun!
Find all of the family fun this year at the Family Entertainment Stage! From jugglers and magicians to kid friendly music and games, the fun doesn’t stop!
4:00: Larger than life games
5:00: Magic Show- John Measner Magic
6:00: Variety Show featuring Petey the Clown
7:00: Balloon Variety Show with Dale obrocha
8:00: Magic Show – John Measner Magic
FREE! The event is free to get in for everyone, and there’s no cost for parking! Carnival rides, food and drink are available for additional purchase. But if you just want to head in with a blanket and some lawn chairs to enjoy the music and the ambiance then it’ll be free!
- Carnival Rides: Tickets are $1.25 each and most rides require 2-4 tickets. Looking for some thrills? Save some money by purchasing a sheet of 22 tickets for $20 (which brings the cost to $.90 per ticket) or 60 tickets for $50 (making it only $.83 a ticket!)
July 3: Gate 3 opens at 3:30 p.m. and the festival starts at 4 p.m.
July 4: Gate 3 opens at 2:30 p.m. and the festival starts at 3 p.m.
- Gates 1 and 5 are open to base personal and individuals with government ID’s all day
- Get to the lawn early and set up a spot because it will fill up! Bring blankets and lawn chairs to relax.
July 3: Late night Fireworks approx. 10:30 p.m.
July 4: Approx. 9:30 p.m.
- No outside food, drink or coolers are allowed so be sure to leave that stuff in the car!
- An ATM is scheduled to be on the premises, but cash is definitely encouraged. If something goes wrong with the ATM, that could really put a damper on those carnival tickets!
- Event parking is free and is available on the base.
– Enter through the main gate and you’ll be directed by security to an available parking area that will be marked.
– All general public vehicles are subject to be searched when entering, so make double sure that you have your license, proof of insurance and vehicle registration.
- All adults entering the base will need an ID! Remember, this is a government Naval base so proper ID will be required
- Port O’Potty’s and hand washing stations will be available throughout the grounds, but look around near the field for 2 indoor restrooms!
- Digital photography and video recording will be allowed. No reason to miss a second of memories!