It’s the most wonderful time of the year. Even though we’re not walking through a winter wonderland, the holiday spirit as always at a high at this time of year in Lake County.
I hope you have all of your holiday shopping taken care of (I know I don’t). If you don’t, we have perfect and unique local Lake County options that you can whip up in a jiff and reap the benefits.
Looking ahead we have a longer holiday weekend as Christmas falls on a Friday this year. The day after Christmas is always a huge shopping day as well, so be sure to check out some of the stores you can grab some deals at.
Besides Christmas and Kwanzaa this weekend, here’s what we got going on for you this weekend. Tis the season Lake Countians!
- Antioch and Long Grove are full of festivities. Olde England comes alive in HistoricDowntown Antioch with lifelike figures representing scenes from the Dickens Era. Experience this public art exhibit while strolling among the delight streets of Antioch. Enjoy the charm of Dickens among the many boutiques, gift shops and eateries. December 25 marks the last day of this celebration. Long Grove has it’s festivities going on until Christmas Eve. Experience caroling, Santa strolling around for photo ops, horse-drawn carriage rides and more! Plus, the Free Gift Program continues through December 24th. Long Grove will provide a free gift to customers that spend $150 in our shops and restaurants. Gifts available at the Visitor’s Center.
Long Grove: Thursday, December 24; 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. Long Grove Historic Village, Downtown Long Grove, Long Grove. Antioch: Thursday-Friday, December 25; Downtown Antioch, Lake St & Main St, Antioch.
2. How cool are the model train sets at Chicago Botanic Gardens? So here’s the skinny:
This is not only a model train set, it’s a family experience and tradition. Outside of the pristine gardens, as much as 750,000 bright lights sparkle and illuminate this Glencoe area. Continue here to read more about the Wonderland Express.
Until January 3; 10 a.m. Admission: Adults – $10 members/$12 for nonmembers Seniors – $8 for members/$10 nonmembers, Children 3-12 – $8 members/$10 nonmembers Children 2 and under free. Chicago Botanic Garden, 1000 Lake Cook Rd., Glencoe.
3. This is Santa’s last weekend at Bass Pro Shops! He’s making a list and of course checking it twice. Come to his magical wonderland filled with games, free photos with Santa, yummy food like freshly cooked fudge, cookies, fondue, and popcorn! Make neat crafts, and even meet his elves!
Thursday, December 24; Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World, 6112 W. Grand Ave., Gurnee.
4. The peppermint and other assorted flavors that candy canes bring. Only at Sweet Pete’s! Watch the age old tradition of creating hand-made candy canes. All guests will shape canes to take home.
Now till December 31; Mon 4 p.m., Fri 4, 6:30 & 8:30 p.m., Sat 7:30 p.m., Sun 7:30 p.m. Admission: $15. Sweet Pete’s Candy, 270 Market Square, Lake Forest.
5. This is the last weekend you can grab the delicious organic veggies from Radical Root Farm Stand in Libertyville. The farm stand carries our organic vegetables, pastured eggs, goat’s milk soap from Gretta’s Goats, pastured pork and other grass-fed meats, fresh organic bread, grass-fed butter and cheese, and more! So come on out and shop local while supporting organic farms in the community!
Thursday-Sunday, December 24-27; Radical Root Farm, 31330 N. Milwaukee Ave. Libertyville.