Phew I know I’m overstuffed with the Thanksgiving goodness and I could probably use a workout. They’re not turkey trots anymore, but you can still get a fun run in to shed some of those holiday poundage.
As we move to the holiday season and the end of the year, we set our sights on all of the splendid shopping, tree lighting ceremonies and all the festive things to do around Lake County next month.
Here are your top things to do this weekend December 4-6.
- The train horn is heard in the distance. That’s the sound of the Canadian Pacific Railway Holiday Train making its annual stop at Viking Park in Gurnee. This vastly illuminated 14-car train partners with local communities to raise food and funds for local food banks as well as raise awareness about hunger issues. The train will blare live holiday music, conduct a brief ceremony and will pass out candy canes for the kids.
Friday, December 4; 3:50 p.m. Admission: non-perishable food items for donation. Viking Park 4374 Old Grand Ave., Gurnee.
- Come one and come all to the festive holiday event in Downtown Deerfield that is perfect for all ages: the community’s 4th Annual Winter Celebration. The celebration includes horse-drawn sleigh rides, roasted chestnuts, holiday carolers, warm treats, live animals, gingerbread house decorating and so much more. Kris Kringle will also attend to offer photo opportunities with the youngsters.
Friday-Saturday, December 4-5; Fri 5-9 p.m., Sat 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Downtown Deerfield & Deerfield Square, 850 Waukegan Rd., Deerfield.
- The holiday trains continue to chug along the County as the Zion Park District hosts a magical Metra ride to the North Pole (or Zion to Kenosha). The Zion Holiday Express requires preregistration and may be completed in person at the Zion Park District Leisure Center Building.
Saturday, December 5; 5:15 – 7:02 p.m. Zion Metra Station, 2501 S. Eden Rd., Zion.
- The electricity will be flowing as this weekend is Lincolnshire’s Tree Lighting Ceremony. Join family, friends and your neighbors to celebrate the holiday seasons arrival. The event includes musical performances, a visit from Santa and tasty treats like hot cocoa. It’s a free admission event, but welcomes an unwrapped toy for the Toys for Tots Program, or for attendees to contribute a canned good item.
Saturday, December 5; Sat 5:30. Village Green, Milwaukee Avenue and Old Half Day Road, Lincolnshire.
- Not only will the lights be flicked on for the holiday season, but also Lake Zurich will host its Annual Winter Celebration. The event features an evening of caroling, a visit from Santa Claus and free refreshments, all while enjoying the annual tree lighting.
Friday, December 4; 5-7 p.m. Rotary Park, Old Rand Road and Main Street. Lake Zurich.