This weekend we celebrate the lover’s holiday. Valentine’s Day. There are plenty going on around Lake County to surprise that significant other of yours. Continue here for the full lineup of things to do on Valentine’s Day. Also click here for all of the best winter activities, as we walk through a Lake County Winter Wonderland.
Grab your flowers, chocolates and gift ideas, because these are the top things to do this weekend in Lake County February 12-14.
- We celebrate 42 years of Carmel High Schools Street Scenes. This year the theme is Toasts Mardi Gras. The school is transformed into a party town atmosphere with more than 50 live bands, a huge casino, drinks and eats from Lake County restaurants, comedy clubs and the famous student show in the Carmel auditorium. Carmel’s gym is converted into a Las Vegas style casino with Blackjack, poker, roulette, Wheel of Fortune and other popular games. Attendees must be 21 and older.
Friday-Saturday, February 12-13; 6:30 p.m. Carmel Catholic High School, 1 Carmel Pkwy, Mundelein.
- Valentine’s Day is this weekend, which means you can treat your significant other to a night of theatre. Marriott Theatre in Lincolnshire is hosting Sister Act. This musical comedy is based on the hit 1992 film starring Whoopi Goldberg. Follow Deloris Van Cartier or Sister Mary Clarence through her journey while taking refuge in a convent. The Broadway show’s tenure at the Lincolnshire theatre stretches until Sunday, April 3.
Friday-Sunday, February 12-14. Marriott Theatre in Lincolnshire, 10 Marriott Dr., Lincolnshire.
- Roses are red, violets are blue. Orchids range from gray, purple, pink and red and Chicago Botanic Garden is hosting a show of it too. The Orchid Show is the only one of its kind in the Chicago area. More than 12,000 brilliantly beautiful and unusual orchids from around the world will extend throughout the Regenstein Center, including lush presentations within the Greenhouses. There are several special events during the show including a Preview reception, Tuesday Morning music and more. This event lasts until March 13.
Saturday-Sunday, February 13-14; 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Adult Admission: $10, Senior & Child Admission $8. Members receive $2 off admission. Chicago Botanic Garden, 1000 Lake Cook Rd., Glencoe.
- The Annual Peoples’ Choice Exhibition will be on display throughout the month of February at the Antioch Fine Arts Foundation. Artists show their best work in various mediums, including paintings, photography, stained glass, sketches, pyrography (wood burning), sculpture, jewelry, pottery, scarves, and so much more. Awards and Reception night will be held on Friday, February 26.
Friday-Sunday, February 12-14; Fri-Sat 10 a.m. – 4p.m., Sunday Noon – 4 p.m. Antioch Fine Arts Foundation, 41380 Rt. 83, Antioch.
- The West End Jazz Band will perform favorites and standards at the Valentine’s Day Jazz & Sweets concert hosted by Waukegan Public Library. The Friends of the Library will be selling cookies and other goodies. Enjoy the ambiance with your sweetheart.
Friday, February 12; Noon – 1 p.m. Waukegan Public Library, 128 N. County St., Waukegan.