I know, we’re all recovering from a comfortable 4th of July weekend that just passed by in this week’s edition of Things to do this weekend July 8-10.
The good thing about this week is we have a shortened week. I’ll take that happily!
Just because Independence Day is gone, we have a slew of summer festivals coming up like the 88th Annual Lake County Fair and a lot more. If you’re a music junkie, find all of Lake County’s gigs throughout the summer by clicking here.
Here are the top things to do this weekend July 8-10.
- The ‘Wild Boys,’ are coming to town, and they are downright, ‘Hungry like the Wolf.’ Duran Duran makes their way to Ravinia Festival in Highland Park for a two-day showing at the country’s oldest outdoor music venue. The two-time Grammy-Award winners and recipient of an MTV Video Music Award for Lifetime Achievement just released their 14th studio album entitled ‘Paper Gods.’ The British new wave/synthpop band will perform new nuggets and long-time favorites.
Friday-Saturday, July 8-9; 7 p.m. Ravinia Festival, 200 Ravinia Park Rd., Highland Park.
- The tradition returns to Downtown Waukegan as the Hot Rod Holiday,
Scoop 2016, kicks off Friday. Save the date to enjoy your favorite rides at the Car Show & VIP Scoop, delicious Lake County eats and beers, a carnival, and plenty of live entertainment that includes the likes of Rafael Mendez & the Fabulous House Rockers, Low-reen’s Live Blues, DJ Spontaneous. Bring the whole family for some scooping down Genesee Street.
Friday-Saturday, July 8-9. Downtown Waukegan, Genesee Street, Waukegan.
- All weekend join man, woman and their best friend as they stroll down the streets of MainStreet Libertyville for Dog Days of Summer. Libertyville is the host city for DockDogs Regional Finals 2016. Experience the exhilaration of the nationally recognized sport of DockDogs-Big Air Dog Jumping. On Sunday enjoy the annual Pentathlon, which includes a 3k dog walk, live music, raffle, and pet and family activities.
Friday-Sunday, July 8-10. Downtown Libertyville, Cook Steet., Libertyville.
- The sweet treats from Jelly Belly are at your disposal as the Pleasant Prairie factory will host their annual Summer Carnival all weekend. Bring the whole family out for three days of fun. Celebrate summer with carnival rides, midway games and more at the Jelly Belly Visitor Center. Unlimited rides will be open Friday-Sunday from 12-4 p.m. for $18 per person.
Friday-Sunday, July 8-10; Fri: Noon-10 p.m., Sat: 11 a.m. – 10 p.m., Sunday 11 a.m. -7 p.m. Admission $18. Jelly Belly Visitor Center, 10100 Jelly Belly Ln., Pleasant Prairie WI.
- Bring your little tikes out Saturday morning for Hunt Club Aquatic Center’s free admission 14th Annual Fishing Derby. Youngsters of ages 5-11 years old will bring their fishing pole for the opportunity to win prizes for the most fish caught, biggest, smallest and most unusual fish. For t those that don’t have a fishing pole, the Gurnee center will provide a limited number. Bait will be provided.
Saturday, July 9; 8:30-11 a.m. Hunt Club Aquatic Center, 920 Hunt Club Rd., Gurnee.