What’re you going to do for your extra day this month? It is leap year and we get an extra day this year. So if you know someone born on February 29, celebrate a half decade worth with them because they won’t see another birthday until the year 2020.
If you are baseball fans, the Chicago Cubs, White Sox and Milwaukee Brewers are officially in spring training and start scrimmaging this weekend. Continue here to see you can watch your favorite baseball teams.
Continue here to see all of the events in Lake County during the winter season. As we move into March, here are some of the top things to do this weekend March 4-6.
- Last weekend you got a pretty good taste of winter ending soon. However, it is always unknown if the snow will make an unannounced visit. The Ice Meltin’ Blues Weekend
at the Village Tavern is where the warm tunes will be playing. This two-day, Long Grove event features two days of blues music and entertainment from Sonic Soul, the Cash Box Kings and the Rockin’ Johnny Blues Band.
Saturday-Sunday, March 5-6; Sat Noon-10 p.m., Sun 1-5 p.m. Call for reservations. Village Tavern, 135 Old McHenry Rd., Long Grove.
- You only witness the best vessels on the waters of Lake County. Get that taste of summer in Lake County at the Northern Illinois Boat Show. You and the family will see the latest in pontoon, family runabouts, ski boats, jet boats, fishing boats, bayliners, alumacrafts, sea ray boats and then some at this festive event at the Lake County Fairgrounds in Grayslake. Many Lake County vendors will be exhibitors at the four-day event.
Friday-Sunday, March 4-6; Fri Noon-8 p.m., Sat 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. and Sun 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Adult Admission $7, Senior Admission $5. Lake County Fairgrounds, 1060 E. Peterson Rd., Grayslake.
- Come on down! Lake County is the next contestant on the Price is Right Live. The Genesee Theatre in Waukegan is hosting this hit interactive stage show. Attendees have the opportunity to win prizes like appliances, vacations and maybe a new car. Play classic games from television’s longest running and most popular game show and possibly even the fabulous Showcase Showdown.
Saturday, March 5; 7:30 p.m. Genesee Theatre, 203 N. Genesee St., Waukegan.
- Are you psyched to take a dip in the drink? Make an early splash at Breezewald Park & Beach in Lake Zurich as they host their Relay for Life event: The Purple Polar Plunge. Collect your pledges and take a dive in together while sporting costumes, signs and any other fun garb while friends and family cheer on your brave souls. Registration begins at 9 a.m. and race begins at 11 a.m.
Saturday, March 5; 9 a.m. Breezewald Park & Beach, 125 N. Old Rand Rd., Lake Zurich.
- James Lumber Center presents The Tempest for their final weekend performance. This story about a man and his daughter stranded on a distant island. Prospero, the father, is plotting his revenge through his magic that he has perfected in 12 years of training. This humorous, romantic and thrilling tale is Shakespeare’s last great masterpiece.
Friday – Saturday, March 4-5; 7:30 p.m. James Lumber Center for Performing Arts, 19351 Washington St., Grayslake.