We all have to not think about how awful the Bears are playing right now, because that will make Monday even worse.
What you should remember is that many of Lake County’s Farmer’s markets are wrapping things up this weekend. There also a lot of Oktoberfests ending this weekend, so take a journey to Deutschland – Lake County Style!
Here are some of the top things to do this weekend September 25-27 in Lake County
- The thrills and chills are at Six Flags Great America as the legendary Fright Fest makes its return to the Gurnee Amusement Park. Fright Fest presented by Snickers, is when the park is totally transformed for six weeks in ghoulish fashion featuring live shows, street entertainment, haunted houses and of course riding the coasters at night. As Halloween approaches, the kids can embark on a special trick-or-treat trail.
Saturday, September 26- Sunday November 1; Fri 5-11 p.m., Sat 11 a.m. – midnight, Sun 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. Six Flags Great America, I-94 and Rt. 132., Gurnee
- At this time of year, no one can resist the succulent apples from Long Grove. The entire weekend you and the family will enjoy Long Grove’s Fall Annual Apple Festival for live entertainment, music, shopping, fine dining and so much more. For the youngsters, the Long Grove fest offers pony rides, kiddie rides and face painting. Scour the charming and historic village and stock up on apple-inspired treats.
Friday-Sunday, September 25-September 27; Fri-Sat 10 a.m. – 10 p.m., Sun 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Long Grove Historic Village, 308 Old McHenry Rd., Long Grove.
- In their 10th year since its inception, Vernon Hills Oktoberfest has returned. Join Vernon Hills as the festival features family fun for all. For the kids, there is free crafts, pumpkin painting, live entertainment, a petting zoo, raffles, inflatable activities and so much more, while adults can enjoy the seductive suds and gourmet food vendors. All can enjoy the delicious dining of brats, burgers, hot dogs, taffy apples and more sold by local not-for-profit organizations.
Saturday, September 26; 3-10 p.m. Vernon Hills Metra Station, 75 Route 45, Vernon Hills.
- Whether it’s sunny or stormy, the Deutschland show must go on. Lake Villa is celebrating Oktoberfest this Saturday and the following week. Enjoy the epitome of fall as Lake Villa’s Oktoberfest features non-stop music, great food and drinks, traditional Bavarian dancing and so much more. Get out and cut a rug on the large dance floor that is centralized in the festival.
Saturday, September 26; 6:30 p.m. – midnight. German/American Cultural Center, 258 West Grand Ave., Lake Villa.
- Head out to the Grayslake Heritage Center and Museum as this is the final weekend of the Sox vs. Cubs: The Chicago Civil Wars exhibit. This exhibit highlights the longtime rivalry between the fans of the north and south siders. This cultural expose covers all the bases of the crosstown rivalry to examine concepts of loyalty and fandom. This interactive exhibit explores all the storylines including the Cubs vs Sox 1906 World Series, the Cubs as baseball’s first dynasty, the Black Sox scandal, Harry Caray and so much more.
Friday-Sunday, September 25-27; Grayslake Heritage Center, 164 Hawley St., Grayslake.