It’s time for another edition of Things to do this Weekend July 1-4. What’s that mean? Time to wear your red, white and blue garb, flaunting your Stars and Stripes Forever and be a Yankee Doodle Dandy.
It’s a festival frenzy in Lake County this weekend and everyone’s invited.
This is not the weekend to leave town, because Lake County has so much to offer this weekend. The family needs to come to you.
So during this extended weekend of Fourth of July, kick back, relax and enjoy the fireworks display around Lake County. Here are the top five things to do this weekend July 1-4.
- There’s no 4th of July Celebration like the Naval Station Great Lakes throws. There is a full music lineup that includes the likes of Royal Bliss and Night Ranger. Besides the live entertainment, Great Lakes Navy Basketball Team will play the Libertyville Vipers and follow the game with a free kids clinic. Naval Station Great Lakes has plenty for the kids on the schedule that includes family entertainment acts, a fun and fitness area that obtains an obstacle course, bingo, paintball, carnival rides and so much more. Don’t forget to devour delectable dishes and drinks that the festival will be offering at the two-day fest.
Sunday-Monday, July 3-4; 3-10 p.m. Naval Station Great Lakes – Ross Field, Rt. 137, Great Lakes.
- Yankee Doodle went to Lincolnshire riding on a pony. His adventure in Lincolnshire was of course the Red, White and Boom Fest. This annual celebration includes live entertainment, food and beer tent, carnival games and a classic car show on Sunday, while Monday features a pancake feast, 5K, the annual parade, the cardboard regatta, more live music and more fun. The festivities end of course with a fireworks extravaganza.
Sunday-Monday, July 3-4. Spring Lake Park, 49 Oxford Dr., Lincolnshire.
- There’s nothing like a day in the park with the family during Independence Day. At Jewett & Brickyard Parks, Deerfield will host it’s 53rd Annual Family Days. The two-day celebration will include fireworks, a parade, arts and crafts tents, 10K Race/5K Walk, rides, petting zoo, bike parade and slew of other family fun-tivities. It’s time to get out there to mingle, share and reacquaint with your friendly neighbors in Deerfield.
Sunday-Monday, July 3-4; Sun: 5-10 p.m., Mon: 8 a.m. Jewett and Brickyard Parks, 836 Jewett Park Dr., Deerfield.
- What’s all the commotion in Mundelein this weekend? A four-day Community Days affair of musical performances, delectable eats, pleasant drinks, arts and crafts area, car show, carnival and so much more. Some of the live entertainment include the musical talent of Bella Cain, Back Country Roads, Final Say, the Adam Ezra Group and more. This year’s parade on the third will begin at the Mundelein Metra Station due to the construction on Hawley Street.
Friday-Sunday, July 1-4. Downtown Mundelein, Seymour Avenue and Courtland Street, Mundelein.
- The Chicago Botanic Garden Art Festival showcases the work of 95 unique artists in a pristine setting overlooking a lake, spectacular gardens and 385 acres of majesty. All of the artwork embodies a botanic theme, use or material. Festival-goers will have the opportunity to see the masters at work, with interactive art demos and booth chats taking place all weekend long.
Saturday-Sunday, July 2-3; 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Chicago Botanic Garden, 1000 Lake Cook Rd., Glencoe.