We slowly wait for spring to spring – which feels like an eternity.
Let’s check and see what’s going on in Lake County as we move into this week’s edition of the top things to do this weekend May 20-22.
- Anything is good if it’s made of chocolate. The annual Long Grove Chocolate Festival kicks off this weekend as we celebrate the slow change to spring. Be in a chocolate lover’s paradise as Long Grove Confectionery will be in attendance as well as many vendors, live entertainment and of course your chocolatey vices. Fan-Favorite bands including 7th Heaven, Infinity and American English will perform throughout the weekend – just to name a few.
Friday-Sunday, May 20-22; Fri-Sat 10 a.m. – 10 p.m., Sun 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Long Grove Historic Village, 308 Old McHenry Rd., Long Grove.
- Experience the radiant colors in Lake County. The Color Vibe 5K is a
splendid race where you’ll be blasted with all shades of the spectrum in each station. Grab the family and go for a fun run where you will literally taste the rainbow. Register on thecolorvibe.com.
Sunday, May 22; 9 a.m. Paulus Park, 200 S. Rand Rd., Lake Zurich.
- The opportunity to treat yourself to something new for lunch this weekend. Lincolnshire’s Food Truck Fridays in the Corporate Center Parking Lot will display a variety of choices of gourmet eats. The foodie frenzy will occur every Friday until the end of the summer as a variety of delicious aromas waft through the air, while a delectable dish is prepared right in front of your eyes.
Friday, May 20; 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Lincolnshire Corporate Center Parking Lot, 300 Knightsbridge Pkwy, Lincolnshire.
- For over half a century, the Des Plaines River Canoe and Kayak Marathon has been a hit. The 18.5 mile marathon in the historic Des Plaines River begins in Libertyville at the Oak Springs Road Canoe Launch. This is the United States’ second oldest race. If you are with the family, there is a brand new 5.25 mile mini-thon available starting in Potawatomi Woods in Wheeling. There are races for each age level to accommodate all. Be sure to look port and starboard when you cross the stream!
Sunday, May 22; 8 a.m. Admission: $22. Oak Spring Road Canoe Launch, 15562 Oak Springs Rd., Libertyville.
- Grab your bait and tackle and prepare yourself to tackle the catch of the day at the Fox Lake Fishing Tournament. The derby is for the entire Chain
O’Lakes and is open for everyone 16 years and older, certain restrictions do apply. No limit to how many anglers each person has and participants can use live bait. A valid fishing license and Fox Lake Waterway sticker are required. Also stick around for the opening weekend of Port of Blarney.
Sunday, May 22; 7 a.m.- 2p.m. Admission: $40. Port of Blarney, 27843 W. Grass Lake Rd., Antioch.