From Oktoberfest to a Scarecrow Competition, Lake County has a whole weekend full of fall fun things to do! So when the question, “What are we going to do this weekend?” comes up, you already have your answer!
1.) Long Grove Oktoberfest
Saturday, October 4 – Sunday, October 5.
Downtown Long Grove
Hear German bands and learn folk dancing at this old fashioned and FREE Oktoberfest! Take a family hayride through Historic Long Grove and stay for the beer, brats, wine and German pretzels and sausages.
The fun starts early at 11 a.m. under the Beer Tent at the Village with festivities including:
- Beer trucks featuring eight different taps and 16 varieties of seasonal and Oktoberfest beers
- Live Music throughout event including German Music from Mike Knauf, from 1 – 4 p.m. both days.
Fun for the kids includes:
- free pumpkin decorating and seasonal crafts
- hayrides throughout Downtown Long Grove (1-5 p.m.)
Insider Tip: This festival lasts through next weekend also (October 11 & 12) with even more family fun like antique tractor show.
2.) Ryerson Wood’s Fall Color Hike, Sunday, October 5, 1 – 2 p.m.
Ryerson Woods Forest Preserve, 21950 N. Riverwoods Road, Riverwoods
Join a naturalist for a one hour hike through stunning autumn colors. Learn why trees drop their leaves and how critters adapt to the arrival of cold weather. Register online or call 847.968.3321 to register by October 4.
Ryerson is one of Lake County’s most preserved natural environments. Because it’s an officially protected area and human interaction is limited in specific areas, the rare species and high quality natural areas combine to make a very special preserve. More than half the land is dedicated as an Illinois Nature Preserve and you can also visit a small farm area.
$5.00 per adult
$1.00 per child (Lake County Residents)$7.00 per adult
$2.00 per child (Non-Residents)
* Please note that children 3 or younger may attend for free.
3.) Spooktacular October with Svengoolie, Saturday, October 4, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Volo Auto Museum, 27582 Volo Village Rd., Volo
Kick off a month of family fun with free hayrides and kids maze included with museum admission. Meet Svengoolie and get his autograph from 12 – 3 p.m. Then enjoy a new ghoulish themed weekend throughout October.
In order to make sure everyone gets to meet Svengoolie, there will be three groups assigned to meet him at once. That way, you can enjoy exploring the grounds of the museum until your group’s turn. A professional photographer will also be on hand to take pictures as there won’t be enough time to take your own pictures.
4.) Gurnee Fall Fest, Saturday, October 4, 12 – 4 p.m.
Viking Park, 4374 Old Grand Ave., Gurnee
- Mini pumpkin painting craft – free (while supplies last)
- Inflatable obstacle course
- Costume character entertainment – interactive dance party on the stage with your favorite characters including: Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Winnie the Pooh and Tigger and MORE!
- Stilt walker/balloon artist
- Cake walk
- Petting zoo
- Tractor-pulled hayride through the park
- Electric train rides
- This year’s theme is Down on the Farm
- Vote for your favorite Scarecrow on display from 12 – 3:30 p.m.
- Winners announced by 4 p.m. and receive a plaque.
- Groups that can register: Individual, family, business, club or organization
- Both residents and non-residents can register
- Individual, family and club/organization registration is free!
- Businesses have a resident fee of $25 and a non-resident fee of $31
- See Contest Guidelines
Doggie Dash & Costume Contest
Bring your furry friend out for a barking-good time to compete for fun prizes!
- 2 p.m. Doggie Dash: 25 yard sprint for the speedy sprinting dogs!
- 2:30 p.m. Howl’oween Costume Contest
- Categories Include: Scariest, Cutest, Most Creative, Best Overall.
- Contact Pat Bodame at 847-599-3778 for details
* In case of inclement weather, the event will be cancelled. Call the special events hotline at 847.599.3774 on the day of the event. A decision will be made by 10 a.m.
5.) 1st Fridays on MainStreet
Friday, October 3, 6 – 9 p.m.
Spend a fall day experiencing food, shopping, wine tasting and live music throughout the unique restaurants and boutiques of Downtown Libertyville. Downtown Libertyville, Libertyville