I don’t want to toot my horn, but I’m turning the big 3-1 in this edition of things to do this weekend July 22-24.
Guess what? We’re only a week away from the 88th Annual Lake County Fair! This week, your good friends at Visit Lake County will provide you a guide of the heralded fair as well as an eats guide. We also will shoot a Georama tour next week at the fairgrounds.
Just remember – it’s going to be a scorcher this weekend. Between Thursday and Saturday, the weather will be soaring north of 93 degrees this weekend. Friday it’s supposed to get up to 98! So remember to drink plenty of fluids while you’re venturing out in Lake County and maybe take a dip in one of our 70 lakes.
It may be a little early, but it never is too premature to day dream about the weekend! Here are your top five things to do this weekend July 22-24.
- The LPGA lands at the Merit Club in Gurnee for the UL International Crown. The second year of this affair features 32 players from eight countries. Teams USA, Australia, China, Chinese Taipei, England, Japan, Korea and Thailand will battle for bragging rights and the coveted crown. Four-ball matches will continue Friday-Saturday, while Sunday will be the singles matches. Get an up-close and personal at Team USA’s players Lexi Thompson, Stacy Lewis, Gerina Piller and Cristie Kerr and be sure to wear your country’s colors to cheer on your favorites for the win.
Friday-Sunday, July 22-24; Fri 7 a.m.-3 p.m., Sat 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Sun 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Merit Club, 1500 Merit Club Ln., Libertyville.
- ‘The Gambler,’ has shuffled one last deck and is passing out his last deal. Kenny Rogers’ Final World Tour heads to Ravinia one last time. The Grammy Award-winning superstar and Country Music Hall of Famer arrives at the Highland Park Festival with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Linda
Davis. Rogers has sold more than 120 million albums worldwide for nearly six decades making him one of the top 10 best-selling male solo artists of all time. Celebrate this tour with Kenny before he folds his royal flush career.
Sunday, July 24; 8 p.m. Ravinia Festival, 200 Ravinia Park Rd., Highland Park.
- Thirsty for an ice cold brew? Long Grove hosts the Long Grove Craft Beer Days. The event features two days of tastings and eats, meet and greet with the brewers, live music, beer and more beer, chefs, artists and more.
Admission includes 18 beer tastings, a tasting glass and a free t-shirt with an upgrade to VIP status. Live performers include the sounds of Drew Clausen, Adam Greenberg, Spencer McReary, Brian Allison and the Pheromones. Don’t miss this wide variety of tasty suds this weekend.
Friday-Saturday, July 22-23. Long Grove Historic Village, 308 Old McHenry Rd., Long Grove.
- Marriott Theatre always knows how to put on a grand show. Man of La Mancha is a 1964 musical that tells the story of the “mad” knight, Don Quixote, as a play within a play, performed by Cervantes and his fellow prisoners as he awaits a hearing with the Spanish Inquisition. This is a poignant story of one man’s ultimate quest. The musical stretches until Sunday, August 14.
Friday-Sunday, July 22-24. Marriott Theatre, 10 Marriott Dr., Lincolnshire.
- Want to see cars like the bumblebee autobot in Transformers, Erin in Gone
in 60 Seconds or the banged up automotive from Fast Times at Ridgemont High? Volo Auto Museum throws its ode to Camaros in the Fifth Annual All Camaro Show. The event includes your favorite muscle car, music, awards and raffles. Registration opens at 9 a.m. Admission to the show also includes a visit inside the entire museum.
Saturday, July 23; 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Volo Auto Museum, 27582 Volo Village Rd., Volo.